Thursday, January 3, 2013
In the kitchen-Tilapia with quinoa and shredded brussel sprouts
Somthing I want to focus on in the new year is eating healthy and fresh foods on a regular basis, With busy schedules its easy to just grab a meal on the go and not think twice about what we put into our bodies. Here is a quick and yummy dinner idea I had the other night made right in my kitchen:
Broiled Lemon Tilapia with shredded brussel sprouts and a side of Organic Tri colored Quinoa.
Serves 1 (easily adjusted for larger quantities)
4oz Tilapia Filet
2 Lemon slices
1/4 tbs butter sliced
Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute-I love this stuff! so much flavor without all the salt
Tin foil to make a foil packet
2 slices of Hormel uncured natural bacon-diced
about 8 large (~109g) shredded brussel sprouts (I wash the sprouts, cut off the ends, remove loose leaves and chop)
1 shallot diced (~20g)
Black pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked rinsed Trader Joe's Organic Tri-colored Quinoa (makes 4 servings, each serving is roughly 150g cooked)
Repunzel Vegan Vegetable Bouillon-1 cube
2 cups water
1. Preheat oven or convection oven to 400F
2. Thaw Tilapia in cold water
3. On medium-low heat fry up diced bacon slices to taste (I like them crispy), once bacon is almost done add the diced shallot to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the shredded brussel sprouts to the pan and sautee for 15-20 minutes. I like to see them brown a little while cooking. Add black pepper to taste.
4. While brussel sprouts are cooking, in a small sauce pan bring the water, bouillon cube, and rinsed Quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover-heating for 10-15 minutes until water is evaporated and the quinoa has a transluscent color. After cooked remove from heat and fluff with a fork prior to serving.
5. Season thawed Tilapia with TJ 21 seasoning salute (I use about 1/4-1/2 tsp) on both sides. Put thin slices of butter on the foil, place the tilapia on top of the butter. Place 2 lemon slices on top and add the rest of the butter slices. Fold the foil over to make a foil packet-this will cook the fish and allow the lemon and butter to add flavor without making a mess.
6. Place the foil packet into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until Tilapia is fully cooked-it should be flakey when done. Time may vary based on ovens and size of fillets.
For those counting calories this yummy dinner comes just under 450 calories!